Sunday, June 12, 2011

Jambalaya - My first attempt, and it was good!

My first attempt at Jambalaya, using up a bunch of stuff I had in the freezer. Lots of roasted peppers and some black pepper andouille sausage.



Jambalaya

2 teaspoons olive oil
1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz andouille sausage
28 oz diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
Mix of roasted red, green, and hot peppers, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons parsley
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (I used Old Bay)
1 pound raw, peeled shrimp
2 cups uncooked basmati rice

To add more flavor, I actually grilled the chicken and sausage. In a slow cooker add the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, peppers, broth, herbs and spices and cook on low for 7-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours). Stir in the shrimp the last 30 minutes of cooking. If there looks like there is too much water, turn the slow cooker on high and leave the cover off when cooking the shrimp. Cook the rice, I prefer basmati, 45 minutes before the Jambalaya is done.

PS Have I mentioned how much I love my Zojirushi rice cooker? Well I do! Perfect rice every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment