Friday, June 10, 2011

Makhani (Butter) Chicken or Veggies



Here is the recipe I used for Indian Butter Sauce (red one you put on the veggies) called Makhani. I actually prefer to eat this over veggies, especially cauliflower, but over tandoori chicken, tomatoes, and onions is the most common.

Makhani (Butter) Chicken or Veggies
I believe my recipe is modified from here Allrecipes.com Chicken Makhani Indian Butter Chicken

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped green chile pepper (I use roasted peppers, 3 jalapenos or 1-2 serranos. These give it the desired heat level you want)
12 oz tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 cup water (use more if you want a thinner sauce)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek (Not necessary if you can't find it, but I have some so and I like the flavor)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup yogurt

Instructions:
I actually use 1.5x the spices and garlic/ginger to give it a stronger kick. Stick with the regular amounts if you want it mild (or add more cream and yogurt to mellow it out more). The recipe has you make tandoori chicken and add it to the sauce, simmering for a few minutes and then serving over rice. But, I have found many veggies work well in this sauce, cauliflower is the most common though.

Combine the butter and spices and heat until fragrant, then start adding the rest of the ingredients. Make sure the chili peppers are chopped very fine to evenly distribute the heat. I grate the garlic and ginger to make a smoother paste, again to evenly distribute the flavors. The coriander and fenugreek aren't necessary, but I really like the flavor they add and I have them on hand. Just cook for a few minutes to make sure all the garlic, ginger, and peppers cook and give off their flavor to the sauce. Then add whatever veggies or meat you want.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment