Saturday, July 30, 2011

Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing



This heavenly dressing combines all the creaminess of avocados with the sharpness of blue cheese in every mouth watering bite. Goes well on a plain salad or kick up a main course salad with this dressing as it goes well with chicken and beef. Heck, using it as a sauce on steak or chicken to dress up the grill meat, fantastic all around.

Ingredients:
3 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1 avocado
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots**
2 tbs. light sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
salt, pepper, olive oil

Servings: 2 generous servings, 4 if your stretching it

Instructions:
**Saute the shallot with a tsp. of olive oil until soft and fragrant. Let cool for a few minutes and transfer to a small mixing bowl.

Add all ingredients except avocado to the bowl with the shallots and mash/stir them together. It’s up to you how chunky you want it to be.

Slice the avocado and add to the mixture. Mash/stir to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. If it’s too thick, another tbs. of milk.

Recipe From: PinchOfYum.com

**I have made this 3 times now and never have I been able to get the shallots when I got around to making this. Everyone is out of shallots, every time. I think the shallots would make a great addition, but if you don't have them, don't let this stop you. It also cuts down on prep and makes this a no cooking at all recipe.

I also often throw all the ingredients into my KitchenAid immersion blender chopper attachment and pulse a few times. The blue cheese will be in small chunks but the avocado pretty much liquefies. I never need to add more milk when I make it with this method. But this recipe could just as easily be done with a potato masher or a fork!

Once this stuff is made, eat it right away. It has avocado in it, and even with the lemon juice and vinegar it is going to turn disgusting poo brown in a bit where it meets the air. Still tastes great when it is poo brown, but doesn't look all that great.

This stuff is sinfully delicious, melt in your mouth amazing. Best dressing I have ever made. You can also use it as a steak sauce, also, amazing. But I don't want to know how many calories are in it, no one ever tell me that fun fact.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. God. Make this now. I had started the trend of just using guacamole as salad dressing, but this has convinced me I have erred. I did use a shallot and think it is totally worth the extra 5 minutes. I normally scoff at shallots and just use garlic and/or onion, but one shallot just added more delicious flavor. Maybe you could get it with using onion and garlic though.

    Thank you Crystal! Now to spread the word...

    ReplyDelete