Saturday, September 3, 2011

KFC Coleslaw


This is a rip off of KFC's Coleslaw which is a sweet tangy and little bit creamy slaw that goes well with BBQ, well, and fried chicken. It wont over power the rest of your food, but will compliment it.

Ingredients:
DRESSING:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

SLAW:
1 head of green cabbage
1 medium carrot (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons minced onion

Servings: 10-12

Instructions:
Chop cabbage into chunks and shred with a mandolin, or chop it fine by hand. Do the same with the carrots and onion. In my case I used the larger size shredder on my mandolin for the cabbage but used the smaller size for the carrots and onion. Combine them all in a very very large bowl.

Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, whisk well. Pour dressing over the slaw and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the cabbage to soak up the marinade. Overnight is best.

Recipe From: AmandasCookin.com

Make sure you use a HUGE bowl (or Tupperware) for the initial shred and marinade. One head of cabbage, once shredded, turns into a LOT of cabbage. And you will need to turn and stir etc. I ended up dirtying more than one bowl discovering I was out of room. Once you let things sit over night it will condense down some, but at first you have a LOT of slaw.

I also made up a second batch of the dressing for my own slaw. I would advise, for a more tangy flavor, making the slaw and dressing the night before. Mixing and letting it sit in the fridge turning it over occasional to keep it well mixed. The next morning, drain out the excess dressing and then "reapply" fresh dressing (so you make two batches of the dressing) before serving. This step is not needed, but I thought it gave it a more tangy, less watered down feel to it.

When I made it, I forgot to drain the old dressing off and just added the new, leading to a lot of dressing. I think the drain and redress will produce the best results. If you want to go the extra step redress the slaw but this stuff is tasty without doing anything else at all!

I accidentally used white wine vinegar and not vinegar, because that is what I had, so I guess less of an accident. The slaw still came out fantastic but with a little less bite to it. So if you want to tone it down, white wine vinegar works great, want to kick it up, use regular.

1 comment: