Saturday, January 7, 2012

Savory Carrots


A quick easy side dish for savory carrots. I am not a carrot fan normally, but in my quest to eat healthier I found these to be pretty good. Nice flavor, good for your waist line.

Ingredients:
1 pound carrots (Baby or sliced as you like)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (I just sprayed the pan with pam)
1 Leek
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Dash pepper
1 Leek or 1/2 an onion
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Servings: Depends on how many carrots you want to eat, probably 2-4

Instructions:
In a skillet, saute carrots and garlic in oil (or use a EVOO sprayer on occasion) for 3-4 minutes, then add leeks and saute for 1-2 minutes. Careful not to burn the leeks, if they are browning too fast turn down the heat or move onto the next step.

Add water, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-12 minutes or until carrots are tender and most of liquid has been absorbed. If there is too much cooking liquid left when carrots are finished remove lid and cook for a minute. If you run out of water before they are finished, add a dash more until finished.

Once the vegetables are done, removed from stove and toss with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.

Recipe From: Inspired by Allrecipes.com

I am not a fan of carrots in general, just not really my think. But vegetables are good for me so I should eat them. I am really not a fan of glazed carrots, sickly sweet and nothing tasty. But these are savory, garlicy and with just a hint of cheese.

You could easily use half an onion or shallots instead of leeks, but I happened to have a leek on hand to use. Just make sure to saute the onions or shallots before adding the carrots for their little saute.

I also didn't use the extra oil, I just make sure to spray everything on occasion with my olive oil mister of if was getting sticky. I also used a good non stick pan and this helps cut down on the needed fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment