Monday, July 4, 2011

Bacon n’ Beer Pancakes



The perfect combination of beer, bacon and maple syrup for a very indulgent weekend breakfast. This recipe may have replaced all other pancake recipes for me!

Ingredients:
8-10 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and diced
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, whites and yolk separated
1 12 oz. bottle nice beer (I recommend something like Newcastle or a nice amber beer – this is definitely not a recipe you can use a cheap beer with because you can taste the beer)
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
syrup, for serving

Servings: ~8 Pancakes

Instructions:
Cook your bacon how ever you want. I cooked mine in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes, but you can easily pan fry it. Set aside to cool, then dice (I used kitchen scissors and just cut it up into confetti).

Whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, the beer, and the vegetable oil. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy and add them to the beer mixture.

Gently whisk the beer mixture into the flour mixture, until just combined. Fold in the diced bacon. Heat a large pan over medium-high, until hot. Grease your pan with either non-stick spray or butter. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbling on one side. Flip the pancake and let cook until golden.

Serve with a little butter if you want and lots of good quality maple syrup.

Recipe From: http://crepesofwrath.net/2011/01/31/bacon-n-beer-griddle-cakes/

Jason loves, bacon, beer and breakfast almost as much as he loves lasagna, pizza and sandwiches. So when I saw this recipe up on Crepes of Wrath I knew I had to try it, I just had to wait 3 months for Jason to come home again. I had assumed that this recipe would be novel and interesting, I didn't think it would be fantastically awesome! This is a great breakfast treat, the beer is flavorful but not overpowering, the bacon blends with the beer and the maple syrup perfectly. I don't know that I will make normal pancakes ever again.

These were, fast, easy, super tasty and the perfect breakfast indulgence.

Make sure to use good beer, we went with Sam Adams Boston Lager which was perfect for this. Don't go too pale or it wont mesh with the maple syrup and don't go too dark or it will over shadow everything else. Stick with red to a light dark and I think you will have the optimum flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment