Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blueberry Coffeecake - my go to blueberry breakfast recipe



Anytime I come home with fresh blueberries I make this recipe, however, it does not require fresh berries. I love this coffeecake so much that I have tried no other. In fact I turned this into a fabulous blueberry crumble recipe just by putting an inch of blueberries below this recipe and baking it. Light, fluffy, stays moist for days if you can resist eating it only in the morning. Warning, if you don't eat this within a few days you should store it in the fridge. I have had the last slice go bad with the blueberries generating an off flavor during the summer months.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (or shortening, but I always use butter)
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, large
2-3 cups fresh or frozen (drained) blueberries, I like a lot of blueberries in mine so I use 3 or 4 cups!
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Heat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9" spring form pan. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, milk, and egg. Do not over mix, just till it all comes together. Stir in the blueberries and try not to pop them (unless you want the batter to be blue). Spread the batter in the springform pan. I spray the pan with cooking spray and have never had a problem with it releasing. Now make the crumb topping by cutting the 1/4 cup butter into the remaining sugar, flour, and cinnamon. It should resemble crumbs and yield a good texture if you don't cream the butter, but cut it in. Bake for 45-50 minutes and enjoy! Dave and I usually eat a quarter of the coffeecake each day for breakfast until gone.



The recipe is from a cookbook I copied many years ago and do not have the name of. Here is the original recipe if anyone can identify the cookbook (Mom? Dad?).
UPDATE: Betty Crocker's Old Fashion Cookbook (Thanks Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment